Tuesday, 16 April 2013

No New School.....yet.

Well, now that we have signed the lease we can progress with the move. This is going to be a very big step and one that I am sort of excited about. It is going to be hard, no doubt, to move due to this being our home with Katie, but this building has slowly gone down hill over the years and it is going to be nice to live in a building that we can be proud of.

It is a 5 1/2 and right now we live in a 4 1/2. This doesn't mean we get a lot more space.  It just means that we have an extra room so we can actually put everything in it's own designated room and not have a desk in the kitchen or in our bedroom. This makes me very happy!

I mentioned to Stephanie (Juli's OT) that we signed the lease and the move is under way. She asked if Juli has to change schools and I asked why. She said she feels that the move, going away on vacation to a different place, and a change of schools will be too much for Juli to handle in this stage of everything with her SPD. As well it might set her back and push back some of the great progress we are making in therapy.

I told her that I probably could keep her in the same school, it would just mean a 35 minute drive to get her to school in the morning and the same back home. But of course I would do it, if that is what she thinks is best for Juli. She did. And so started the quest to see if I could even still register her for the next year or if it was full.

Turns out I was in luck. They still had a few spots left and so I filled out the paperwork (which I had almost discarded - thankfully not lol) and registered my daughter for 2013-2014. I am in a way very happy that she will be able to see Asha (her favorite teacher) each day. Even if Asha doesn't end up being her direct teacher she still knows the other two teachers and it will be a familiar environment while everything else is changing.

We'll see how the drive for me goes. I might have to plan to stay in the West Island during the three hours that she is in school. But that is ok as I have plenty of things I can do and a few friends I can catch up with :).

l'll also plan to make her OT therapy earlier in the afternoon so that I can pick her up from school on that day, take her to lunch and then take her directly to therapy.  On other days we can do some play dates in the WI if we choose to or we can head home in the early afternoon as there is little traffic at that time.

I am not really worried about this actually. Not sure why, but I have a feeling things will fall into place.  It may be a bit more traveling for me, but I know in my heart this is the best route for Juli.... and that is what matters most.

1 comment:

  1. to be honest as you know I am. I think that is a big mistake. You already don't bring her to school on time and you live less than 5 min down the road and now you want to travel 35-45 plus min each morning to get her to school, there will be traffic and snow storms etc.
    or it will be skipping school because of weather and that is not good for her either and a waste of money.
    She is going to be starting Kindergarten soon and every year she will have to change classrooms and meet new teachers/kids. She will have to get use to that regardless.

    ReplyDelete