Monday, 8 April 2013

A tough therapy session....

Julianna's therapy sessions are getting tougher. I feel so bad watching her as I know she has to go through it. Her therapist (Stephanie) is starting to implement harder techniques as well as play activites. Juli obviously is not enjoying them as much as the play activites. Because of her SPD and lack of communication issues she is having a very hard time expressing how she feels.

Instead like everything else she is using me as her security blanket.  I'm safe as I understand and "get" her.  This is good that I (get) her as I can help her, but it is also not good as she needs to learn to comfort herself when I'm not there as I won't always be there.

Emotionally she is like a two or so year old right now and we have to understand this. She is doing what a child of that age would do.  She may be 4 years old but she is learning at the level of a 2 year old.

Today was a very hard session for her. One of the toughest yet. The only productive thing she did was her "Mat man" drawing in the picture.  This is her first real drawing that she has attempted that actually resembles a drawing. I'm so proud of her!!

Next session I'm going to have to sit out for a bit as she is not able to do a session by herself. The tough activites need to be done and she is emotionally having too difficult a time. She needs to learn to how to process her emotions and let Stephanie teach her how to do this.

So next session we start working on this.  It going to be heart breaking for me but this is best for Juli.

Also on Wednesday she starts her speech therapy. I'm looking forward to this as I'm looking forward to her having the ability to express herself and the independence to do it.

We are also starting to build a sensory diet for her. She is both a seeker and an avoider so this will be difficult.  But we are starting so that hopefully in the next few months we can put together a good sensory diet for her.

A lot will be happening over the Spring/Summer.  We are now starting brushing and pushing exercises, and I will making some weighted exercises for her as well. Stephanie has also suggested a weighted blanket so we'll be working our way to that.

We are going to get her the help she needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment