It has been about 4 months since I have written a post and so much has happened in those 4 months. Sometimes you can have a lot of questions about things and not seem to get any answers - just more and more questions. People often say that the answers will come in time you just need to be patient and one day they will come....
I am thankful to be able to say that mine finally are.
Ever since Juli was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder or Sensory Integration Disorder we were always told that this was not a legal diagnosis in the province of Quebec. In the rest of Canada it was and in all of the United States, just not in my province - the province of Quebec.
The main reason for this is because most of the time SPD is not alone. Usually SPD is accompanied with something else, some other diagnosis. So the Quebec government doesn't allow it to be diagnosed separately as a legal diagnosis on its own.
This has made things kind of difficult for us over the past year. We have done weekly private occupational and speech therapies for Juli. Because SPD is not recognized, we can't apply for public OT, and putting her on the public waiting list for speech therapy would have taken two years. By the time her turn came up for speech therapy she would have been so delayed the damage that would have been done by waiting would take 10 years to reverse if it could be reversed at all. Same with occupational therapy. So since therapy was a necessity to help her with her issues private was the only way to go.
And she has made awesome progress over the past year. She is a different girl with the therapies. I have gone from being her translator so people could know what she is saying, to her being able to be understood by over half the people she encounters. This is so liberating for her and it makes her feel so good!! The look of joy on her face when someone understands what she said is just priceless.
But I have always had a feeling in my gut that something else was going on and that is where the answers that I mentioned earlier come in. First let me tell you to always follow your gut instincts. That is the advice that I was being given and I'm glad in the end that is what I did. I was also advised to enroll her in Summit school. A school for children with disabilities and delays. We knew that there she could grow and catch up at her own pace. So we followed the procedures to put her into Summit.
This meant we had to get a psychological evaluation done. I had been thinking about doing this for a while and a few people I know with special needs kids had advised I do it. But I knew it was very expensive and I wasn't sure about it. Juli's OT has always said that her sensory issues run very deep and she was recommending that we work on sensory issues first and then if there are issues remaining I could look into a psych evaluation at that point. That was the plan I was going to go with until I learned that Summit needed the Psych evaluation to admit her. Secretly I was actually happy about this as it was just the push I needed to do the evaluation and I knew now no matter what turned out I would have my answers. I was actually excited :).
And so the process started. Many appointments with the psychologist and a crazy month of December. We needed to go at Juli's pace and we needed to get all of appointments done before Christmas so that she could review everything and have the report ready for us by the first week of January. We needed to get the application into Summit that first week in order for Juli to have the best chance of being admitted in September 2014. And the psychologist definitely agrees that Summit School is the place she recommends for Juli to go.
It was a very busy month, but it was worth it. I feel very blessed to have met this Dr. She understands Juli very well and she helped us a lot. I explained to her a lot of the things that I was concerned about and she made it her mission to find out exactly what was going on with Juli. It felt so good to know that no matter what the report said at least I would know exactly what is going on with my Juli.
After many long extensive appointments and quite a few Saturday afternoons spent at the Psychologists office the time finally came for us to get our answers. You don't know how good it actually feels....
She explained that along with the Sensory Processing Disorder Juli can't control her emotions and has a lot of anxiety. The reason for this is because Juli has Autism. She is very high functioning, but she is Autistic none the less. This may sound crazy to you, but this makes me smile from ear to ear as this means that now we have a diagnosis that will allow Juli to get the help she needs through the public system.
After losing my first daughter I can definitely handle Autism. It won't be easy - far from it, but I can handle it!!
The psychologist referred us to an RDI specialist as she feels RDI (Relationship Dynamics Intervention) therapy will really help us and therefore help Juli. It will help us to understand Autism and Juli in particular a lot more and help us to be good role models for her. It will help us to be able to learn how to maneuver around the Autism and teach her properly without causing undue stress on her.
I am so happy about this and am really looking forward to this.
And another awesome thing that has happened since getting the psych evaluation is now we are being transferred to the correct department of the CLSC and we will have a social worker very soon who is going to help us get all the services for Autistic kids. We will apply for the TED program. And she will also help us apply for an Educator who will be giving us RDI therapy supplied through the government so at that point we can stick with public and we will not have to go private anymore.
And to top it all off, when Juli gets admitted to Summit in September of this year (I'm being optimistic), they have OT and speech therapy there as well, so we won't have to go private anymore. This will be awesome! She has wonderful therapists right now - don't get me wrong, but it is expensive....
We have applied for the Disability allowances and Handicapped allowances with both governments. The psychologist says she is sure we will qualify for both :). And until we receive an Educator that will pay for the private RDI therapies.
Everything is working out really well and is finally coming together.
We finally got our answers and I am happy that I did do the right thing and listen to my gut instinct :). Or mother's intuition. It's up to you what you want to call it and it's up to us to listen to it as I am learning we have it for a reason :).
We learned about a year ago that Julianna is coping with SPD - Sensory Processing Disorder. Recently we've learned as well that she is high functioning Autistic. This explains a lot of issues with her that we've encountered. Everyday we go through meltdowns and many other things. Juli loves photography like me. We share this beautiful hobby to help her cope with her day to day issues. I share our stories here.. Join me in my life with my special and amazing Juli.
Oh boy what a reminded.. I too have a grandson that is a highly functioning autistic child.. however now they moved him into a special class for space an science that they attend.. he is almost a genius it seems his high functioning has it's benifits as well.. this year at Christmas is the first time I ever got a hug or told he loves me..words cannot express the enormous gift I received from him. This grandma was in heaven! Good Luck to your precious Julia<3
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Ann-Marie :). I do remember. How is he doing?
ReplyDelete